The Wise Ones and the Damodreds

Do you think the Wise Ones knew about Laman chopping down Avendoraldera, the sapling given by the Aiel to the Cairhienin as thank-you for sharing water during the Breaking? You would think they saw it happening in dreams, or noticed a change in Tel'aran'riod. If they knew what happened did they also know what would happen afterward? How could they know everything so clearly. They must have been able to see much more than what Egwene sees in her own visions, who is a powerful dreamer in her own right.

Did they also know that Moiraine would be trapped with the elfin and that she would be released. I know what is said in the books about their awareness of her having to go through the rings, and the hints of something more they knew, but they were not too upset about her going. Even the non-wise one Aiel seemed to know something was up. Did Moiraine ask for consul? That's not her way, but perhaps they told her of some knowledge they had.

(Executing more Kaitlin thoughts!)

Did the Wise Ones know Moiraine was a Damodred? -_- Maybe I'm blanking on something really really obvious here, but I can't remember them ever addressing her as a Damodred and not just an Aes Sedai. Rand in TFoH even has a line like "Moiraine being Aes Sedai offset her being Cairhienin, but he was never sure how much" in regards to how the Aiel treat Moiriane. You'd think he would have said "a Damodred". I know Aiel usually call people by their full names, but... Maybe I am misremembering.

I'm tired, dammit. And my memory of Moiraine's time with the Wise Ones is clouded by her nude scenes with them. :oops:

As for how much the Wise Ones knew, I dunno. Their "reading" of the dream seems more vague and multi-pathed than Egwene's Dreaming, so I think most likely they saw a possibility that Laman would cut down the tree but not a guarantee. I always figured they found out the news from one of the Cairhien trade caravans that passed through the Waste at that time, rather than finding out through magical means. It was only 1/3rd of the Aiel involved in the Aiel War anyways.

Edited by Olivia
  • 2 weeks later...

The Wise Ones must have had an inkling of Laman's intentions, especially as his path of action became more certain. I imagine they were a driving influence on why only four clans went after his head. The Aiel Dreamers might not be as strong as Egwene (at least none alive today) but there are more of them and they have far more experience. That's a powerful combination.

Now about Moiraine, that's a little interesting I suppose. Aiel aren't as worried about death as the wetlanders and I imagine would see great honor in dying while taking down a Forsaken. Especially a former Maiden like Amys. So that flash of sympathy she showed when mentioning Moiraine's fate does seem a bit odd. Except Amys is also a channeler and Aiel or not, I don't think any chaneler would ne content going through what Moiraine did.

Did they also know that Moiraine would be trapped with the elfin and that she would be released.

I've always thought they knew, based on this:

“They are . . . ” Rand cleared his throat. “They are both gone. Lanfear is dead. And so is Moiraine.” Egwene began to cry, sobs shaking her in Aviendha’s clasp. Aviendha put her head down on the other woman’s shoulder as if she, too, might weep.

“You are a fool, Rand al’Thor,” Amys said, standing. That surprisingly youthful face beneath her headscarf and white hair was stone hard. “About this and many other things, you are a fool.”

He turned away from the accusation in her eyes.

I'm probably wrong, but this statement always seemed weird to me. Calling him a fool if it's because he sucked at fighting Lanfear is a pretty a-holish thing to say, even for an Aiel. So I think it was because his statement(s) are wrong.

Edited by Deadsy

:ythat:

her being a damodred has nothing to do with the Wise Ones knowing her fate. They had to have known.

Same with Laman. There are too many Dreamers in their population for not even one of them to get some hint. And even a hint of their precious tree getting cut would set off alarm bells.