Is Mat with Ashandarei better than a blademaster?

Yes, because that's how fantasy works :) The good guys go through amazing experiences that makes them way better than everyone else. And also the good guys are born with unbelievable skill. That's not to say, it wouldn't be super close and near-death exciting should Mat fight a blademaster. Although, that isn't as certain, for super hero points the blade master could also be defeated as if nothing, and then everyone will be all :o! So kickass! I can't believe he just defeated that blademaster :D OMG! Mat is soo coool! *rants*

I think you're right, Erika, considering he's beaten Gawyn, Galad, a bunch of Aiel, Myrddraal all in single combat, plus he has the memories of men who were also probably spear and/or sword masters.... so yeah, Mat's probably at the level of a blademaster. I don't know a whole lot about the subject, but my assumption is that Mat's ashandarei is bit slower to maneuver than a sword considering it's much longer, and in ACoS he mentions it's a bitch to use in close quarters, so those are probably weaknesses when compared to a sword-wielder.

• 2 weeks later...

I hate how fantasy treats this sometimes. Weapons and fighting don't work like number calculators. Mat with his Ashandarei is better than people who can't fight as well as he can with their weapon, but he's worse than people who are better with their respective weapons, assuming a perfectly fair field of battle, which is improbable to begin with.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...