Free Will in Wheel of Time?

Is there free will in WoT? With wheels weaving whatever they like, is there such a thing as choice? And if there is, won't predetermined good or bad luck just cancel it out?

Maybe this should be a topic for its own thread but maybe there already are such threads only I can't remember?

I want to say yes, but then again there are so many soothsayers in WoT. Free will in Randland seems to be "do this or DIE...PAINFULLY". Or I could be exaggerating.

On the hand there are the Portal Stones which have doorways into infinite worlds based on different choices.

There's probably a world where Rand marries Moiraine.

Ehh, this is complicated! I tried writing something intelligent for ages....Can't we just agree to go yes or no? And then if we get it wrong, there might be a parallel world that gets it right (or the other way around) so all evens out anyhow. This would sorta mean that free will is meaningless in our existence and since there are parallel worlds in WoT, that'd make whatever free will there is meaningless for sure?

I wonder if parallel Rand fancying Moiraine becomes sister wife with her niece...that would be weird.

What if Moiraine is the Dragon Reborn in an alternate world and Rand is the one who has to go and find her? Crap would have gotten taken care of six or seven books ago and by now they could be raising their babies post TG. Of course, Rand would have had to find out she was DR and find her extremely fast if their ages remained the same as in the books.

Edited by ~Romanda~

Noway, Kitts! This is a proper thread of mine and you are being way off topic. And anyhow, how do we know that isn't what happened in WoT? Maybe RJ started writing it like this "By freak chance, both Moiraine and Rand hit their heads in the exact same moment and even though they were miles apart, their souls got switched! And so begins this elaborate Freaky Friday fanfiction set in an epic fantasy world." and then his editor was all "RJ! No more fanfiction! We totally lucked out with Conan and escaped the lawsuits but we won't be that lucky again." And RJ was all "But I already wrote three million words, it took me all afternoon." and his editor, "Perhaps if you feel so strongly about it, I might know a way but you aren't going to like it." And RJ, "What?" And Editor, "We'll cut the first bit--please stop screaming, RJ, we've talked about this before. Artistic integrity does not apply to fantasy authors. Now let me finish. We'll cut the first bit and nobody will ever know. They'll be too busy analyzing the chest sizes of the fantasy babes and what kind of panties they wear to notice." And RJ, "It'll never work, everyone will know Rand's Lindsay Lohan because I wrote him like her." But fortunately the editor was right and nobody ever figured out that WoT is Freaky Friday Fanfiction :)

Ha! I go way better off topic than Kitt! Also, I color coded the dialog. RJ is red and his Editor is blue. And original WoT beginning is purple.

there was a theory on wotmania that Moiraine was a draghkar that made me laugh.

This from the woman who started the "Moiraine as a Vampire" thread? :razz: Draghkar and Vampires are pretty much the same thing.

I once saw a crazy theory that Cadsuane is the Doctor and her paralis net contains a Tardis ter'angreal.