aMoL Reactions. What did you think?

So... How'd everyone enjoy it? Are you pleased with the outcome? What was missing for you? (Aside from the obvious things I'm sure we're collectively seething over.)

What would you like to have seen done differently? Was there anything you thought BS got 100% right? And most importantly what did you think of the ending?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It wasn't the worst wot book ever. But I wouldn't put anywhere close to the top. It was better than the last one.   The ending was disappointing and short and the body swap was cheesy.   No one r

I really liked this one. It had flaws, it had stupid parts, it wasn't as good as RJ would have done. But it was a fitting end to an amazing series. Sanderson did well with the impossible task he was g

There's more points I'm sure, just a few off the top of my head there.

Literally just about to make this thread.

I...literally just finished it so my feelings are still all jumbled. I liked the book for the most part, but there was too much of some characters and not enough of others. Other plot lines were left completely unresolved...bah, I'll make a list:

*Here there be spoilers*

The Pro's

Moiraine's return & Survival

Egwene's death (and no, not because I wanted her to die)

Moggy surviving (lets face it she'll find a way out of that a'dam)

Cadsuane's fate :)

Mat and Lan in general in this book :)

The end in general, I didn't hate it.

The cons

THE COMPLETE LACK OF MOIRAINE AFTER HER RETURN!!

Lanfear's death

Siuan's Death

Bella's Death

Perrin STILL trying to kill slayer after what...four books?

What happened to Setalle Anan??

the complete lack of Thom

Graendal's new makeover

Edited by Ekho

Deep breath. Stay away from massive prologue through epilogue spoilers! Here we go:

Why on earth would anyone in their right mind play a game that goes like this: introduce Moiraine, a character central to the story, imperative to the survival of the protagonists and ultimate outcome in ensuring victory. Effectively kill her off. Bring her back for the final book and then have her do nothing for almost the entire book. I thwacked my head a couple of times at the screeching absence of Moiraine throughout.

On the bright side Moiraine's return was kind of hilarious. 'Hey guys. The wheel weaves as the wheel wills. What's going on. Oh... Stop arguing children, here's the solution. Me! Moiraine! I am awesome and know all.'

No Moiraine/Lan reunion scene. No Siuan/Moiraine reunion scene.

Siuan. Her end was sad and pathetic. It was lazy, sloppy and without reason. Poor Siuan.

Egwene. How convenient that Vora's sa'angreal just happens to be unbuffered. Although I thought her death was pretty awesome, I'm still broken up over it. I was totally shocked beyond words. What a way to go.

Logain. You bastard why weren't you taking care of Taim and dying?

Mat. Was awesome but Fain was meh.

Lanfear. I really hoped she would turn to the light in the end :(

It's slightly cheating that Rand didn't die but gets a happy soppy ending. I hope I'm not being blinded by Rand hate. It just doesn't feel right that he lives.

I found it to be disappointing overall. Plot wise I guess it wasn't awful but I felt BS didn't explore character interaction enough. Perhaps I've got tunnel vision after missing Moiraine for 7 books, finally getting her back only to find that yes she is still awesome but no, he can't be bothered to write more than a few sentences about her. Then having to deal with poor poor Siuan whose death was so so ill fitted for Siuan Sanche, Watcher of the Seals, Flame of Tar Valon, the Amyrlin Seat. It was just a few words but I cried like a baby before chapter 37 had even begun. That stubborn, impossible woman.

Edited by Therese Sedai

Cad's fate is just ROFL. Although one has to wonder how long she will be able to perform as Amyrlin. In NS she guessed she could live anywhere between 2 and 30 years. By the end of aMoL it's closing in on 30. Will she break her oaths and join the kin or retire to grow roses again? Who will step up to the role after her and what will become of Egwene's policies?

The more the dust has settled, the more I don't hate the ending. It's more the content of the actual book I'm disappointed in. However, since so much of it is missing/behind the scenes, I figure hey, that's what fanfic is for, right? :D

Moggy's fate is hilarious too. She was convinced she could take over the world. :D a few lifetimes of being collared will do her some good. Maybe Suffa and her will get to glare at each other every once in a while. I almost forgot some of the Black Ajah are da'mane too.

That makes for a fun environment to be in. Bad good girl glaring at bad bad girls glaring at a forsaken who just wasn't bad enough. Ah... I will enjoy the book much more next time around. Just got to get my magic eraser and get rid of the Siuan death references. Gareth can stay dead and, for once in her life, Min can be wrong. Denial. It's not just a river in that country somewhere over the rainbow.

So. Well.

I did not like Rand's fate. Such a cop out! I hope none of the harem chases after him. God.

Moiraine being nonexistent was such a let down. I mean really, why bring her back for that? Ugh.

Elayne didn't get killed. Damnit.

But I kind of like everything else. I mean, I even enjoyed the Black Tower parts, which normally I avoid and skim. I even read Elayne's parts which I almost never do. Still don't like her.

My dreams of Siuan and Moiraine babies making babies is crushed though. :(

And Romanda. :( My poor Yellow. :(

But HELL YEAH Cadsuane is awesome and not dead! :ddd:

For me the most dissapointing part of the book was:

Perrin still hunting Slayer in Telaranrhiod. Granted Lanfear did make those scenes slightly more interesting, but still he's been trying to kill slayer for like 4 books! I feel like this should have ended in ToM, making room for more Moiraine in this book ;). Also wasn't happy with Perrin killing Lanfear but in retrospect I don't think I would have been happy with anyone killing Lanfear.

edit: I mean on top of having so little Moiraine in the book, since that was much more dissapointing.

Edited by Ekho

For me the most dissapointing part of the book was:

Perrin still hunting Slayer in Telaranrhiod. Granted Lanfear did make those scenes slightly more interesting, but still he's been trying to kill slayer for like 4 books! I feel like this should have ended in ToM, making room for more Moiraine in this book ;). Also wasn't happy with Perrin killing Lanfear but in retrospect I don't think I would have been happy with anyone killing Lanfear.

edit: I mean on top of having so little Moiraine in the book, since that was much more dissapointing.

I agree.

And if you have read this far into the thread I'll assume you don't mind spoilers.

The only real comfort I have about the lack of Moiraine is that Nynaeve fans didn't get much either.

But it is very disappointing how little character interaction and development we did get. Lan and Moiraine being awkward makes sense, but why not in one of Lan's povs have him think on that? Or even Moiraine think of it? Or have Moiraine think of anything for that matter besides Rand and tea.

I liked this book but I didn't love it.

Did you guys expect Egwene's end? I have to admit I was well and truly knocked off my feet by it.

To be honest I could set everything aside if only there had been more Moiraine. Even if it was only a sappy last second before the end of the world wedding scene.

Also for the first time ever, I'm so very sad the British cover is plain. The US cover with Ny/Mo on the back looks really good!

I did not expect it but knew it was coming because I had skimmed ahead looking for Moiraine stuff. It was a fitting end. Unlike Siuan who just...died. And that tingle never meant a damn thing! Ugh. Still bitter.

I thought it a bit silly Galad survived. Lan lasting through the end of the world was pretty unexpected and awesome. His son can wed Thom's daughter.

The only real comfort I have about the lack of Moiraine is that Nynaeve fans didn't get much either.

But it is very disappointing how little character interaction and development we did get. Lan and Moiraine being awkward makes sense, but why not in one of Lan's povs have him think on that? Or even Moiraine think of it? Or have Moiraine think of anything for that matter besides Rand and tea.

I would have liked more of Nynaeve to be honest.

I know exactly what you mean, or a pov from someone other than Rand about Moiraine being back. Siuan or Cadsuane would have great examples. It was as if once Moiraine was back, no one stopped to think about it. Although I did love that there was still some tension between Mo and Cadsuane!

I totally spoiled myself about Egwene's death (it was my own fault I opened a thread name spoilers of doom on rafo) so I spent the whole book waiting for it. I thought Egwene's death was wonderfully written and was a fitting end. If I had actually liked Egwene before aMoL then I might have cried ^_^ . I also kept waiting for Lan to die and was so pleased that he survived.

I am very sad about there being no Siuan and Moiraine reunion! There was also far too much Perrin compared to Rand who was actually fighting the Last Battle.

The ending was very short and not all that satisfying for me. The three women were horrible at hiding that Rand wasn't dead. If that was there goal then they should have played the part of mourning women.

Heh I haven't read the book yet (it was sold out everywhere in town for the first time) but I know what happens to Siuan since I have a habit of reading spoilers and I took it a lot harder than I should initially, because it sounded so random. Now I was 99% sure that Min's viewing was definitely not fulfilled yet with that lame incident in The Gathering Storm and I had a feeling that Gareth pretty much turned them both into "dead meat" by saying that they would marry once it was all over *facepalm* but one can always hope until proven wrong.

Now I've heard a bit more details at least, and I sense that Siuan's destiny was more planned out. I've read that she asked Mat already in Tar Valon if he was ready to run into a burning building or something, and I know that in some book Siuan either talked or thought about her uncle Huan who died while running into a burning house to save some children (or something similar). So, if she looked up to him all her life her actions make sense. In a way it gets easier to handle knowing this at least as I wait for the damn book to arrive :P

Edited by Brynefan