A ranking of blade masters in WoT? **Spoilers**

He did, but was Demandred not a bit softened by Galad and Gawyn?

Lan is definitely in my top 3, but I wonder if he should be no. 1? Rand (two handed) would be in my top 3 as well as he killed at least one blade master in a duel (the Seanchan in book 2)

Galad had killed Eamon Valda, supposedly the greatest blademaster among the Whitecloaks. He could be in top 5 as well.

Nah, this was settled when they all faced Demandred, Lan is number one with Galad probably being second then Rand or Gawyn probably being third.

Demandred would be second I suppose, if we count him.

• 4 weeks later...

He did, but was Demandred not a bit softened by Galad and Gawyn?

Lan is definitely in my top 3, but I wonder if he should be no. 1? Rand (two handed) would be in my top 3 as well as he killed at least one blade master in a duel (the Seanchan in book 2)

Galad had killed Eamon Valda, supposedly the greatest blademaster among the Whitecloaks. He could be in top 5 as well.

Gawyn is a loser. Also, I never think of Rand because...it's Rand? I don't know. Besides Lan was his teacher so Lan gets props for that too.

Lan is the man.

• 2 years later...

Nah, this was settled when they all faced Demandred, Lan is number one with Galad probably being second then Rand or Gawyn probably being third.

Demandred would be second I suppose, if we count him.

Lan is definitely the number one blade master as you & Moraine said "He killed a Forsaken with a blade." On the merit that Demandred beat Galad (though he was using a bit of the one power?), I would rate him second. Rand, before he lost his hand, was seeming to excel quite significantly, taking on 5 men at once? He had also received training from two blade masters, Lan & Tam. Tam, teaching him further improvements by fighting one handed. I would say third place is a toss up between Galad and Rand, besides, their half-brothers too. Gawyn would be fourth I suppose, he seemed too eager at times. Or, perhaps, Tam is fourth? We never got to see the extent of his skills, though, Lan held him in high regard and he lived through the last battle, Gawyn did not.

• 2 years later...

In terms of pure raw natural talent; Rand or Aram.  Both achieved extremely deadly skill in a ridiculously short period of time.  Rand defeated a Blade master inside of a year of training.  Aram was crazy deadly inside a few months, giving Tam(Blademaster) a real run for his money.

Beyond that Demanded and Be'Lal are probably the absolute best in the series.  Rand realizes in the Heart of Stone he is facing an opponent that is insanely skilled, far beyond his own abilities.  We witness first hand three of the series best swordsman's all admitting they are way outclassed when they face Demanded.  One of them had super powerful ter'angreal aiding them and Demanded destroyed him the easiest.

I fully acknowledge I am biased against Rand. I also completely forgot about Aram. 😳 

My opinion on Demandred is tainted because I still can't believe a powerful channeler allowed his ego over swordfighting to overcome reason. 

I guess it all depends on interpretation. I would still say that Lan is the better swordsman because it's not just about technical fighting ability (of which, yeah Demandred was better), it's also about understanding your own strengths and weakness, as well as your opponents, and using them to win when it counts.Which is what Lan did. We really don't see enough of Belal to get a decent knowledge, but there should  be an acknowledgement that most of the male forsaken will be good with a blade given the length of time they would have trained with them during the war etc.

Aram...well meh. I doubt that at the point when he died he was within the top 5, maybe had he survived and kept training he would have reached that point. 

• 5 months later...

I mean Rand is beyond talented but Lan would outsmart him. Lan. 

I thought this: A powerful channeler like Demandred was clouded by privilege. He thought with all the benefit of his years before plus his channeling and connection to the DO he was beyond human. Maybe that’s the wrong way of thinking of it, not sure. 😕

On 6/27/2020 at 1:18 PM, Kaitlin said:

I thought this: A powerful channeler like Demandred was clouded by privilege. He thought with all the benefit of his years before plus his channeling and connection to the DO he was beyond human. Maybe that’s the wrong way of thinking of it, not sure. 😕

Yes I'm sure that was the intention, but it also feels like another "let's make the Forsaken stupid so bad guys don't win" ploy.