Theory: Mo and Lan Make Love in book 5

Firstly, I always wanted them to get together, but I know that Lan is in love with Nynaeve. However, the more I think about it realistically, the more I cannot believe that Mo and Lan would be together for 21 years and never have sex. I mean come on, she's hot and they're both human and don't have much time for outside relationships. And there are points (like in Book 3) where it is obvious that Lan feels a lot of "affection" for Moiraine.

Anyways, I didn't expect this "theory" to ever really manifest itself in RJ's writing, so I wasn't trying to read in between the lines when I encountered this part in Book 5 and totally felt like it indicated that Mo and Lan had sex:

Scene: 2 Dhagkhar just attacked the camp and Rand and Aviendha killed them.

The soft sound of slippers announced Moiraine and Lan, and Rand straightened. Though he could hear both of them breathing, the Warder's steps still made barely an audible noise. Moiraine's hair hung about her face, and she held a dark robe around her, the silk shining with the moon. Lan was fully dressed, booted and armed, wrapped in that cloak that made him part of the night. Of course. The clamor of fighting was dying down in the hills below.

[Okay so first we have both of them showing up late, missing the fight which never happens with Moiraine. She always rushes on the scene (like at Cold Rocks with the darkhounds) fully-dressed. Then you have the comment about her hair "hanging about her face." Rand mentions in book 3 how she always looks perfect and her hair is never out of place. On top of that she's wearing a robe, so despite getting their late she still wasn't even dressed. Lan was dressed, so was that what the hold up was, stopping (or finishing?) their business and waiting for him to get dressed and armed? And the fighting is described as dying down by now, so clearly they were markedly late.]

"I am suprised you were not here sooner, Moiraine." His voice sounded cold, but better his voice than him. He held onto saidin, fought it, and the night's icy chill remained something far off. He was aware of it, aware of each hair on his arms stirring with cold beneath his shirtsleeves, but it did not touch him. "You usually come looking for me as soon as you sense trouble."

"I have never explained all that I do or do not do." Her voice was as coolly mysterious as it had ever been, yet in even in the moonlight Rand was certain that she was blushing. Lan looked troubled, though with him it was difficult to tell. "I cannot hold your hand forever. Eventually, you must walk alone."

[this part I thought was the biggest indicator. Notice her slippery Aes Sedai answer, even though she's not supposed to do that based on her oath to Rand. And what cause would she have to if she was late for a valid, nonembarassing reason? The blush of course indicates the nature what she was doing. Ever since New Spring Mo cannot handle hearing or talking about sex without blushing. It is the only thing that causes that reaction in her. Then you have Lan looking "troubled", which indicates he was involved with her and felt awkward by Rand's probing.]

"I did that tonight, didn't I?" Embarassment slid across the Void--that sounded as though he had done everything himself--and he added "Aviendha all but took that one off my back." The flames on the Draghkar were burning low.

"As well she was there, then," Moiraine said calmly. "You did not need me."

She had not been afraid, of that he was sure. He had seen her rush into the midst of Shadowspawn, wielding the Power as skillfully as Lan did his sword, seen it too often to believe fear in her. SO why had she not come when she sensed the Draghkar? She could have, and Lan as well; that was one of the gifts a Warder received from the bond between him and an Aes Sedai. He could make her tell, catch her between her oath to him and her inability to lie straight out. No, he could not. Or would not. He would not do that to someone who was trying to help him.

[ so here you have Rand eliminating the other possibilties. Mo is disappearing in this book, so I get the impression RJ wanted the readers to understand that there was a sexual relationship between Mo and Lan, because until now its been doubtful and after this book we would never find out. Rand eliminates fear, and he knows he can trust her at this point. He also emphasizes that neither of them came (so most likely for a shared reason). Rand knows they were having sex, or thinks he does, and thinks about catching her at giving that slippery answer (which she isn't supposed to do) but then decides that he couldn't do that to her bc it would be too embarassing for her. She's been helping him and has nothing but good intentions, so he would feel like a real jerk doing that to her.]

Then there is a paragraph were Rand comments about the attack and then...

"Do not make the mistake of thinking the Forsaken simple, " Moiraine said. "That could easily be fatal." She shifted her robe as though wishing it were thicker. "The hour is late. If you have no further need of me....?"

[her she clearly wants to leave as quickly as possible, whether out of embarassment or wanting to get back with Lan in the tent or both. Mo always takes advantage of a chance to lecture Rand and impress her knowledge on him for long periods of time in this book. It is really out of character that she wants to leave as quickly as possible.]

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting theory!

I had a different interpretation of that scene though. I think Moiraine and Lan were involved in the fighting, which is why Rand thinks "Of course. The clamor of fighting was dying down in the hills below." They didn't come up to see Rand until they had finished off the Darkfriends. The reason Moiraine is so disheveled and underdressed is because she was woken up in the middle of the night and didn't waste time getting dressed before going out to fight. And there are several instances in the books of Lan either sleeping fully dressed with his sword by his side or just staying up really late keeping watch. I think Moiraine blushed because she was all messy and wearing only a robe in front of all those ppl; her prudishness didn't kick in until after the danger was dealt with, which is also why she is so eager to leave again.

I think Moiraine's reason for not coming sooner is that she knows she is going to "die" soon, so she wants Rand to learn to handle things himself and not need her (like she says), and she figured Rand wouldn't have a hard time handling a couple Draghkar like he did at Cold Rocks. Lan's reason for looking troubled is that he does not know Moiraine's reasoning; she hasn't told him that she is going to "die" (because she knows he'd do something stupid and get himself killed trying to prevent it) so he wonders why she is acting the way she is and also keeping secrets from him, her companion of so many years.

that's also a very valid interpretation. perhaps i'm trying to force my desire for Mo and Lan to get together into the book. i still think it could be possible though and not entirely ruled out (not that you were doing that). :(

by the way my name is Olivia too and is usually my name on forums. i always get confused when i see your name because i think its me! lol.

Eek, despite that fanfic I don't think they ever cared about each other in a romantic or very lustful way.

However, the more I think about it realistically, the more I cannot believe that Mo and Lan would be together for 21 years and never have sex. I mean come on, she's hot and they're both human and don't have much time for outside relationships. And there are points (like in Book 3) where it is obvious that Lan feels a lot of "affection" for Moiraine.

This does make a lot of sense. You could very well be right and they did get together occasionally for those reasons. But, they seemed a little more brotherly/sisterly toward each other.

Lan and Moiraine both have little moments of open affection and maybe more toward each other at different points, but I think it was more respect and esteem in a partnerly way. I don't know, that's just my take on their relationship! Though I don't think they're romantically in love, Mo/Lan are my favorite pair in the series.

that's also a very valid interpretation. perhaps i'm trying to force my desire for Mo and Lan to get together into the book. i still think it could be possible though and not entirely ruled out (not that you were doing that). :(

by the way my name is Olivia too and is usually my name on forums. i always get confused when i see your name because i think its me! lol.

Wow, hello, Other-Olivia! :( It's a great name, is it not? It'd be a real coincidence if your middle name is also Ursula like me.

And I can't blame you for wanting to see your favorite pairing follow through. I myself still hold out hope that Moiraine and Siuan will get back together once their crusty old men die off. :(

i always got the impression that Mo's relationship with Suian was more like a built-up sex tension releasing itself because they're all teenage and twenty-something girls stuck together in the tower for years with no men (sort of like prison, but not really! :()

I've read a fanfic dealing with this scenario. Let's see... here . Interesting explanation on why Lan's wearing clothes while Moiraine is not, if nothing else.

I don't think they did, though.

dang, well at least someone else shares my theory (and enough that they wrote that story about it :()

i always got the impression that Mo's relationship with Suian was more like a built-up sex tension releasing itself because they're all teenage and twenty-something girls stuck together in the tower for years with no men (sort of like prison, but not really! :()

It was much more than just that. Moiraine and Siuan did not have merely a sexual relationship, but a deep emotional connection. They comfort each other when saddened or frightened, wrap each other in their arms after a long period apart, give a kiss of reassurance and playful tickles, sleep in each others' beds when they have nightmares, team up for pranks and the resulting punishments, tease and confide in each other, and do little things like share tea without asking or make sure the other woman has a warm fire to come back to on a cold night. They spent six years learning together and practically living together, and when the time came they even chose to take their Oaths together. Moiraine even says that she has never been as close to anyone as to Siuan, or loved anyone as much. They truly loved each other. More than just best friends, more than just "lack of men".

Yeah, I get that feeling too, esp considering their recent behavior.

However....

Moiraine's World is pretty heavily in favor of Moi/Siuan historically so be prepared to get eaten alive. There is a reason I am in hiding!

ETA: That isn't to say I don't think they loved each other, just that, they aren't you know, lesbians. Kaitlin being the exception, I just can't see a lesbian liking Thom...sexually. And as for Siuan, if you had the choice between Moiraine and Bryne, why would you pick old guy when you can have hot chick.

Also, even though I do think the sex part of their relationship was more due to "OMG I NEED TO GET LAAAAAAAAAAAID" then anything else, I will say I have always seen their pillow friendship as almost a marriage (which really upset my envisions of pillow friendship I must say :( ) but that only makes their lack of any sort of bond afterwards even odder to me.

However, man this is turning into a long edit, I should mention I am pretty anti-Siuan these days because I am not a huge fan of her behavior/actions/lack thereof in regards to Moiraine in recent WoT years.

Since Kaitlin, Jan, and maybe I should throw Vertex in there, are the only oldtimers still kicking around the forum people might not realize I was a huge, I mean huge, supporter of Moiraine/Siuan. It was my favorite pairing. I wanted them to end up together. My Moiraine/Thom love is far more recent (and somewhat forced upon me...if she wants the old dude, well I got to get used to it). So when I say things about Moiraine/Siuan it isn't out of anti-pillow friendship or anything like that. I honestly think they did have this great special friendship plus sex while in training, but if it was "true luv" it wouldn't have ended like it did.

And since this is already an essay: I have always thought it strange if Moiraine and Lan didn't have sex just once. I mean come on! You are young, horny, alone in the woods, just once wouldn't hurt. Not that I think they actually did the deed, just that I think it is so weird if they didn't even think of it. Just from a pure "I wonder if I'd feel what (s)he feels!" standpoint. Moiraine is a closet pervert so I know her mind wanders down those paths.

I don't think they had sex in book five, but I'm not sure I think Moiraine was actually out fighting. Maybe we can compromise and say she was masturbating. Oh god I feel dirty saying that word in connection to Moiraine. :(

Moiraine's World is pretty heavily in favor of Moi/Siuan historically so be prepared to get eaten alive. There is a reason I am in hiding!

I definitely didn't intend to come off as foaming-at-the-mouth hostile at any mention of pairings other than Moiraine/Siuan. If you guys like Moiraine/Thom or Moiraine/Lan or Siuan/Bryne, then go for it! To each her own.

And yeah, I agree that RJ has made them both stupid in regards to how they deal with the men they somehow love. WoT isn't exactly gay-friendly, or even feminist-friendly. But I still keep the dream alive for Moiraine/Siuan, no matter how unlikely! :(

Maybe we can compromise and say she was masturbating. Oh god I feel dirty saying that word in connection to Moiraine.

Wait...

Moiraine feels what Lan feels. And the other way around. Hypothetically they could have worked out a system so they'd do it simultaneously, so the other would BENEFIT from it rather than being disturbed while doing something important :( It's a non-physical way, true, but this I could actually believe.

I should mention I am pretty anti-Siuan these days because I am not a huge fan of her behavior/actions/lack thereof in regards to Moiraine in recent WoT years.

Even I am disappointed! :(

And as for Siuan, if you had the choice between Moiraine and Bryne, why would you pick old guy when you can have hot chick.

But she doesn't know that Mo lives! :( Or does she?

Hey, this brings back a quote I found funny when I attempted a re-read last year or so. It sort of clashes with NS, but it definitely fits the direction they take in the main series:

The Great Hunt, 4: Summoned

(Siuan): Sometimes I wish we still were novices, you and I. Still innocent enough to see it all as a gleeman's tale come true, still innocent enough to think we would find men - they would be princes*, remember, handsome and strong and gentle**?- who could bear to live with women of an Aes Sedai's power.

* Gareth was First Prince of the Sword to Morgase and Thom was at least a court bard, with a courtly manner and insight in The Game of Houses.

** Incidentally(?) the meaning of "Gareth" is gentle.

I definitely didn't intend to come off as foaming-at-the-mouth hostile at any mention of pairings other than Moiraine/Siuan. If you guys like Moiraine/Thom or Moiraine/Lan or Siuan/Bryne, then go for it! To each her own.

And yeah, I agree that RJ has made them both stupid in regards to how they deal with the men they somehow love. WoT isn't exactly gay-friendly, or even feminist-friendly. But I still keep the dream alive for Moiraine/Siuan, no matter how unlikely! :(

Well, I said historically because it is true. Before you and most of the current members were around MW was very heavy in the pillow friend love. I was the first turncoat and my lapels are still singed.

And you are nothing compared to Whitty (she didn't even want to read Mo's letter because it was addressed to Thom).

Wait...

Moiraine feels what Lan feels. And the other way around. Hypothetically they could have worked out a system so they'd do it simultaneously, so the other would BENEFIT from it rather than being disturbed while doing something important ;P It's a non-physical way, true, but this I could actually believe.

That is an image I have never conjured up. :(

But she doesn't know that Mo lives! :( Or does she?
No, but, she started falling for him before Mo kicked the bucket. So no excuses for her.

I too kind of find it hard to believe that they've been together, alone, bored and horny, and not had sex. That said, I do believe, that if it had to happen it had happened some time back -- much before the WoT series.

Also agree with Marie about the Mo/Siuan theory. Sad, but true. :-/

dude, i dont think Mo or Lan could get away with masturbating cause imagine how weird that would be for the other one! "Hmmm, where's Lan? He's...oh" =/

Which is why I think they had sex over the course of their time together. I think if Mo got so frisky she fooled around with Suian then I think for sure for 20 years she and Lan "provided" for each other. Being bonded is practically like being married or even closer than that.

Yipes, please no one gobble me up! :( Olivia, I do think they were very close and I'm definitely not trying to downplay that. But all the things you mentioned are things that I think of as really close friends doing, especially two girls that are together every day. I think emotionally she was just as close to Suian as she was to Lan or will be to Thom. But I agree with Moiraine that I don't think Mo or Suian are lesbians. They both indicate their dreams of marrying men and they talk about men they've been with (Mo with Cormanes and Suian hooked up with Cal the footman (lol)). I think they're closeness meshed with their natural horniness probably lead one thing to another.

By the way! How the heck does Merean know they're "pillow friends"? Remember when she tells Cadsuane that? How in the world?

I actually liked it when I found out that Mo ended up with Thom because Thom was always my fav male character and I think an older guy suits Mo well (not to mention how he attends to attract young women!). But I am having some withdrawal issues about her not being with Lan. But really it's all for the best bc Lan's affection is divided between her and Nynaeve and then she goes through the door. She derserves to have a man who will sweep her off her feet when she comes back.