Moiraine's World Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Brynefan

Poor Galad

I've been re-reading Galad scenes and noticed that he has not actually done anything annoying. D:

EotW: He finds an armed stranger in the garden with his two siblings, one who is the future queen and the other the future first prince of the sword. What does he do? He does NOT attack him on sight, but starts reasoning with Elayne that it is not a good situation and that a colored band means nothing if Rand doesn't mean it (which is true since Rand had no clue that red meant he liked the queen he didn't know he had back in the backward Two Rivers). Calling the guards discretely is NOT an act of malice here. It's not only the RIGHT thing to do but the reasonable thing. Apparently she has a history of doing similar things because Galad says: "I am aware of your fondness for strays, Elayne." Then he proceeds to point out the obvious: What the heck would a loyal subject of the queen do in the palace garden uninvited? His logic is completely flawless.

"I hate him," Elayne breathed. "He's vile and full of envy."

It's obvious that she exaggerates, because he does not turn them in as witches once he's a Whitecloak like Elayns says he will. She doesn't actually know him. All she knows is that she dislikes him and she won't ever agree that his vision of right just might be more right than hers. At least sometimes. :D

TGH: He uses his shirtlessness and good looks on Egwene and immediately asks her out. (So much for uptight.)

TDR: He tries to use his looks on Nynaeve, but fails. (He's cunning, that guy)

TSR: He asks "Elmindreda" out for a dance. (Exactly HOW can people think he's a virginal moral idiot? Because he's a Whitecloak, yes. That passage exactly about not pampering the flesh sounds bad in that way, but perhaps it was ripped from its context. A little.)

TFoH: He helps Elayne and Nynaeve escape from a place about to erupt in war. He values their (especially Elayne's) safety enough to actually spark the conflict.

KoD: Finally a POV and it's pretty awesome.

Elayne only hates him because while he sees safety issues, she does not. That doesn't make him evil, it means she's incredibly irresponsible (news?). And Gawyn is the middle child who has to agree with both at the same time.

Galad: Stay away from Rand al'Thor! :nono:

Elayne: I want your babies Rand! :|

Gawyn (once let loose in the world without his siblings' opinions forced on him): KILL! BERSERK! DEATH TO AL'THOR!

And still Elayne prefers Gawyn?

Edited by Brynefan
  • Like 1

It's because she finds it hard to believe Galad is not envious of Gawyn's position and assumes he is going to do something "evil" to her brother :| . To me there seems perhaps some insecurity there on her part, recognizing that it wasn't meant for her mother to be queen originally but Galad's. I mean her logic is really stupid no matter how you look at it and I loved when Siuan told her she wasn't putting up with that nonsense when Elayne started on her "he's not my brother!" trip.

It warms me that Morgase seems to genuinely love Galad and sees that he needs that love more than the other two, being abandoned by his mother and having Taringail as a father and all. At least she raised one of the kids to not be an idiot!

• Like 1

Doesn't get easier when your little sister hates your guts either :| He really is a saint for being so patient with her.

Seeing Morgase alive would do him good. Well it would do Gawyn good too since then his main reason for hating Rand gets proven wrong once and for all.

Edited by Brynefan

galad is the only reasonable child morgase has.

he is also the only one without her blood in his veins.

coincidence?

You have discovered a great truth.

Elayne is not so bad, except for her unreasonable hatred for Galad. She has this odd habit of being weird about certain family members. And Thom. But, I forgive her.

Galad is kind of innocent about the whole thing. I feel bad that he lost his family when he was so young.

• Like 1

It's so sad. I think it was Mat who said from Elayne's descriptions Galad was everything a mother would want her son to be. He's intentionally trying to be a perfect son and be different from his plotting father :runcry: He can't know for sure why Tigraine just abandoned him. Finding out what really happened to her would help him too, even if it could also be a painful discovery.