How does one *sniff*?

How is sniffing done exactly? It is befuddling. Is there nose leaking involved if they sniff out through their nose or do they get boogies stuff lodged up inside their noses if they sniff in really hard? And wouldn't the second thing be called a snort?

Maybe someone else has done this or knows from asking RJ.

I'm with Marie, I always figured it was a non-vocal "hmph", and that a snort was just a more aggressive form of the sniff. It seems very catty to me though, not to mention a bit passive-aggressive the way some WoT women deploy the dreaded sniff-weapon.

Wait, I remember WoT FAQ actually having a section on this. :lol:Here we go.

I think we miss two important aspects of sniffing. First of all, a sniff of something indicates smelling something, so it's definitely an inhalation. And secondly, you sniff when crying or when trying to hold back tears.

Snort is probably more in line of the actual action but it doesn't sound like a lady like thing to do, so sniff is used as a kinda synonym. But the whole thing is silly because people don't go around snorting either. It's the kinda thing authors write in order to write really thick books :) That's what I think anyhow.