AMoL Prologue Excerpt

A short excerpt from AMoL's prologue is up on TOR. Read it here: http://www.tor.com/stories/2012/04/a-memory-of-light-prologue-excerpt

Unfortunately it's from a PoV of no one we've seen before, just some random guy fighting for one of the people who still oppose Elayne's rise to the throne. (The Andoran throne, mind you; I know there are some on this forum who shall not be named who still contest her rise to the Cairhienin throne.)

It wasn't anything spectacular, but I wasn't upset by it or anything. It's pretty predictable for them to give a nonsatisfying first preview of AMoL, to make us want more. I suppose (like with the previous books) as we move closer to the release date we'll get more excerpts, hopefully from characters we give a crap about.

I didn't really buy that that guy's family would have kept the tradition of making stone tools. But, I guess from a thematic, aesthetic perspective it was kinda moving, showing how humanity has in some ways been reduced back to our most primitive days due to the Dark One's influence, yet we're still determined to fight on despite what feeble weapons we have.

It also gave us more on the already-established theme of the Dragon as the breaker of bonds, by showing just how different the world after the Last Battle will have to be, with new lords and rulers, new vassals, new modes of government, even new channeling regimes have to be reformulated.

What are your thoughts on the excerpt, MW? :siuandance:

(The Andoran throne, mind you; I know there are some on this forum who shall not be named who still contest her rise to the Cairhienin throne.)

:rand:

Anyway.

First thought: Bayrd?! Well. Okay.

I know this might be sacrilegious but I wasn't terribly thrilled by it. Not that it was bad or anything, just did nothing for me. The cover got me more excited than this preview.

the stone tools thing...there are peeps in our time who still make "useless" crap, so why not in randland?

I found the preview boring. I am a bit tired of reading about bubbles of evil and everything falling apart. I just want to get on to it.