Moiraine's World Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Sivart Reborn

The Wheel of Time, restrospectively...

Well, these forums seem dead, appropriately enough with the series ended. But I was having some weird Moiraine's World nostalgia tonight, which in turn made me think about the series and why I decided to stick it out til the end.

Honestly, I cannot say I liked this series. I liked parts of it. I liked parts of it a lot. Moiraine is one of my favorite fictional characters, period. I liked Rand, Mat, and even Perrin at times, even if I spent good chunks of the series not liking them. I liked the villains mostly. I liked the supporting cast mostly. I liked the story on a whole. But there is so much I cannot say I care for. The pacing is awful in my opinion, especially in the middle of the series. Jordan's views on sex/gender got awkward or tiresome (honestly, the Aes Sedai needed to prove they were all women? They had a problem with men joining at the White Tower?). Some (many) of the characters were just downright grating. And Min's existence rubs me wrong, if only because I liked her at first, then was disappointed in how she was used, to say nothing about how I feel about the harem in the first place. And then built up, highly anticipated events *cough*Moiraine*cough* are seemingly entirely tangential that I might've forgotten about Thom and Mat retrieving her altogther. And other times events just kind of happen without any satisfying conclusion, such as Suian's death in the last book. Not all of this can be blamed on Jordan, the last three books were in part written by another author from his notes. Sanderson's style is distinctive from RJ's, and it is not necessarily consistent with the tone of the previous books. But at least we got a conclusion, I can certainly be thankful for that..

Will I reread the series one day? Probably, almost undoubtably. Would I recommend the series? I don't think so, not unless the person was just dead set on some long fantasy reading.

So, does anyone else have some thoughts back on the series as a whole now that we've had a bit to digest the last book? If anyone will see this?

I will not lie, I did think of just closing the forums down but in the end decided there was no harm in leaving them. I think its death in part, for me, has a lot to do with the rather disappointing ending to the series.

For all RJ's talk of leaving things open enough for the world to feel alive there did not feel like much to say at the end. The whole thing was such that I dethroned Moiraine from favorite character status. Her and Siuan's arcs were so disappointing, and perhaps unfairly I lay the blame on Sanderson. His writing style is not nearly as suitable to my reading palate as Jordan's and towards the end it just started to grate.

Jordan is the only one to blame for the harem thing, and power hungry Elayne getting everything she wanted and being oh so perfect. But at least he wrote pretty.

I'm glad these forums are still here :)

Moiraine is still one of my favourite characters as well, even though I felt like the last book ruined her slightly. I've never really been able to articulate what made me like her so much but she was really what kept me reading WoT even after she died. I feel like had Moiraine just been in a memory of light more, I would have liked the book much more. As it is I was relatively happy with how everything played out...I only wish Jordan had been able to finish the books.

I plan on re-reading all of WoT at some point (got them all for the kindle via a friend), I'll just need to prepare myself for it first.

The ending was very much conclusive. It was disappointing in that regard. It really doesn't leave much to say or think for. And at the same time, it leaves me cold on topics like Seanchan. The epilogue also came across as very abrupt, after that drawn out climax sequence, it was as if the story was trying so very hard to suddenly try to wrap all it's characters. That just highlights the poor pacing of the series as whole in my opinion though.