Moiraine's World Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ishmael Moridin

A ranking of blade masters in WoT? **Spoilers**

Now that the series is done, who is the best blade master of them all?

PS: I could not go through all the threads on the forum to confirm if there was another thread about this :)

Edited by Ishmael Moridin

He did, but was Demandred not a bit softened by Galad and Gawyn?

Lan is definitely in my top 3, but I wonder if he should be no. 1? Rand (two handed) would be in my top 3 as well as he killed at least one blade master in a duel (the Seanchan in book 2)

Galad had killed Eamon Valda, supposedly the greatest blademaster among the Whitecloaks. He could be in top 5 as well.

Nah, this was settled when they all faced Demandred, Lan is number one with Galad probably being second then Rand or Gawyn probably being third.

Demandred would be second I suppose, if we count him.

He did, but was Demandred not a bit softened by Galad and Gawyn?

Lan is definitely in my top 3, but I wonder if he should be no. 1? Rand (two handed) would be in my top 3 as well as he killed at least one blade master in a duel (the Seanchan in book 2)

Galad had killed Eamon Valda, supposedly the greatest blademaster among the Whitecloaks. He could be in top 5 as well.

Gawyn is a loser. Also, I never think of Rand because...it's Rand? I don't know. Besides Lan was his teacher so Lan gets props for that too.

Lan is the man.

Nah, this was settled when they all faced Demandred, Lan is number one with Galad probably being second then Rand or Gawyn probably being third.

Demandred would be second I suppose, if we count him.

Lan is definitely the number one blade master as you & Moraine said "He killed a Forsaken with a blade." On the merit that Demandred beat Galad (though he was using a bit of the one power?), I would rate him second. Rand, before he lost his hand, was seeming to excel quite significantly, taking on 5 men at once? He had also received training from two blade masters, Lan & Tam. Tam, teaching him further improvements by fighting one handed. I would say third place is a toss up between Galad and Rand, besides, their half-brothers too. Gawyn would be fourth I suppose, he seemed too eager at times. Or, perhaps, Tam is fourth? We never got to see the extent of his skills, though, Lan held him in high regard and he lived through the last battle, Gawyn did not.