The end of channeling

Much to my surprise there are people who seem to believe that defeating the Dark One will involve abolishing the ability to channel.

Their reasoning seems to rest on the idea of Randland being a future/past Earth and therefore at some point channeling has to disappear.

I don't really like that theory because 1) there are plenty of Ages for that to happen and 2) I just plain like channelers.

I can't really see what the Dark One has to do with channeling...unless the "Creator" lets people channel so one day they can defeat the Dark One, and once that's done there's no more point. But still...that just seems weird.

I agree with your two points Marie, lol :blink:.

I'm not very clear on the details but wasn't there some really cursed city with lots of evil? Evil that was powerful on its own. I'm thinking power stuff in Randland isn't limited to channeling and such but can happen and unhappen whimsically.

So yeah, that would suggest channeling could stop working...but then someone could fix it again.

I don't think defeating the dark one wil result in the end of channeling. However it would be amusing if Egwene finally became amyrlin of a whole and united tower, only for channeling to end.

Edited by Ekho

I agree with you completely, Marie. :blink: It seems like at least a possibility that channeling will go away, but that would be a very lame and disappointing climax. And as you said in 2), I just plain like channelers; magic and magic-users are often one of the coolest and most fascinating parts of any fantasy series.

@ Ekho: That's a hilarious observation. :plot: I lol'd at the mental image of Egwene sitting impotently in her awesome new united Tower being all like, "Well I guess we can still try to be ordinary peacemakers hurr durr..."

I never thought the Dark One had anything to do with channelling, apart from his taint on saidin. Which was removed by Nynaeve and Rand anyway (apart from the taint already absorbed by male channellers, I think). So defeating the Dark One = ending channelling would, yeah, be a desperate and disappointing climax. Channelling is about the coolest thing in WoT (apart from Momo!), I think we agree with that. :blink:

Moving on. I’m toying with a Looney Theory here that the “guardian” ter’angreal of Far Madding might have a larger role to play in the last two books. I base this on the long-held and popular theory that part of re-sealing up the Dark One is going to involve eliminating people’s ability to channel altogether.

From here.

A popular theory?! I find that a bit hard to believe.